Welcome to WARM HELMDON
We are all worried about rising oil and electricity prices, because of how it will affect our own homes and families or our neighbours. A group of Helmdon residents, with the support of the Parish Council, have got together to try to help us all reduce our fuel costs and maybe go a little greener along the way.
We know that many of us are receiving phone calls offering energy saving services and suggesting we may be eligible for grants. Some of these calls are genuine, many are not.
We want to help people in Helmdon understand the options for saving energy through insulation or different types of heating including solar panels, heat pumps and biomass boilers. We would also like to be able to help people find reliable installers, so please share your experiences and opinions.
We are particularly concerned about those who may not able to afford to heat their homes next winter or be able to arrange to improve their insulation. We want to be able to offer them practical help with, for example draft proofing doors and windows or pointing out benefits they may be entitled to, which in turn could open their access to insulation grants. We would love to hear from anyone who could help with either of these activities.
Our survey - you told us what would help you most
We wanted your advice about how you felt about the massive increases in electricity and heating oil costs. Will you be able to cope? What would help you limit the impact on your comfort and safety over the winter? Our survey will help us decide what will be the most important things for Warm Helmdon to do.
Our survey was answered by 37 people, so it is probably not fully representative. Nevertheless, there are some clear messages:
- 1 in 12 people said they were very concerned and didn't think they would be able to cope
- Around half of those who replied thought they could cope but would be less comfortable in the winter
- 1 in 3 said they expected to cope but were concerned about others
- Almost half said they would welcome advice on grants and benefits and on insulation options to reduce their need for energy
- 2 in 5 people would like to have someone visit them and talk about the options relevant to their house. 1 in 5 would welcome someone who could visit and deal with drafts.
- Almost half would like information about reliable contractors and the opportunity to join a block booking for insulation work.
- 3 in 10 would be willing, with appropriate support, to help others find and apply for grants or benefits that could help them and to work out what insulation options would make the most sense in their home.
- 1 in 8 said they would be willing to visit peoples' homes and do basic draft proofing for those who cannot manage it themselves.
We thank those who shared their views. Warm Helmdon - with the support of the Parish Council- will now get on with responding to these messages. If you are interested in helping us please get in touch by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Warm Helmdon Survey Results (PDF, 291 Kb)
Warm Helmdon Survey Results
Look here for guidance and links to other reliable sources on how to save energy and get support to help you through the winter
Contact Warm Helmdon
We can be contacted at email@example.com or by phone to 07950 664270