Medical Emergencies, Medical Services & Support Services

Please note that Helmdon Parish Council cannot accept any responsibility for the information or web links provided by external websites. Headings on this page include:

Helmdon Facilities & First Aiders

Helmdon Primary School have installed a defibrillator on the front wall overlooking Station Road.

Please look for the bright yellow box on the front wall under the school sign. This equipment is for use by any member of the public at any time in an emergency and it can be accessed when the school is open or closed.

Instructions are clearly marked on the defibrillator case and it is designed to be used by individuals who have no prior knowledge or training.

[First Aider details

to be added here]

Medical Emergencies - When to Call 999

At some point, most people will either witness or be involved in an accident or experience a medical emergency.

Knowing what to do next and who to call can potentially save lives.

Life-threatening emergencies

Call 999 in a medical emergency. This is when someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.

Medical emergencies can include:

Call 999 immediately if you or someone else is having a heart attack or stroke. Every second counts with these conditions.

Also call 999 if you think someone has had a major trauma, such as after a serious road traffic accident, a stabbing, a shooting, a fall from height, or a serious head injury.

Find out more about major trauma services

[Above is copy of first section of this NHS page - 01/May/2019]

When to Call 111

NHS 111 can help if you have an urgent medical problem and you're not sure what to do. Get help online or on the phone

To get help from NHS 111, you can:

  • go to (for people aged 5 and over only)
  • call 111

NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you have difficulties communicating or hearing, you can:

How NHS 111 works:

You answer questions about your symptoms on the website, or by speaking to a fully trained adviser on the phone.

You can ask for a translator if you need one.

Depending on the situation you'll:

  • find out what local service can help you
  • be connected to a nurse, emergency dentist, pharmacist or GP
  • get a face-to-face appointment if you need one
  • be told how to get any medicine you need
  • get self-care advice

[above is copy of first two sections of this NHS page 01/May/2019]

Medical Practices / Pharmacies / Dentists

The following links (blue text) are to local Medical Services. This list may not cover all available services. For complete listings you should refer to the NHS website or others as appropriate.


Transport to Appointments

Information correct when posted - 17 July 2018.

The Brackley Area Volunteer Car Service is run by South Northants Volunteer Bureau (SNVB) and provides transport for those people, particularly the elderly and disadvantaged, who find it difficult to get to essential medical or social care appointments.

If your doctor's surgery is in Brackley then you can use this service so please call 01280 841099 for further information or visit

Passengers must register with the service and pay an annual membership fee of £25.00. Journeys must be booked at least 3 days in advance and passengers pay the driver 45p per mile (the driver will calculate the cost for you).

The drivers are all volunteers and they will remain nearby for up to 2 hours to take you home again. This service is only available for people going to medical appointments such as doctors, dentist and physio.

Support Services

Please click here for South Northants Volunteer Bureau (SNVB) & Good Neighbour Scheme (Northamptonshire ACRE)

Please click here for Citizens Advice, Samaritans & Wellbeing - lists of services with phone numbers.