Medical Emergencies, Medical Services & Support Services
Please note that Helmdon Parish Council cannot accept any responsibility for the information or web links provided by external websites. Headings on this page include:
- Helmdon Facilities (Defibrillator) & First Aiders
- When to Call 999
- When to Call 111
- Medical Practices / Pharmacies / Dentists
- Transport to Appointments
- Voluntary, Citizens Advice & Wellbeing (Separate webpage listing a range of Support Services with contact phone numbers)
Helmdon Facilities & First Aiders
Helmdon Primary School have installed a defibrillator on the front wall overlooking Station Road.
Please look for the bright yellow box on the front wall under the school sign. This equipment is for use by any member of the public at any time in an emergency and it can be accessed when the school is open or closed.
Instructions are clearly marked on the defibrillator case and it is designed to be used by individuals who have no prior knowledge or training.
[First Aider details
to be added here]
Call 999 in a medical emergency. This is when someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.
Medical emergencies can include:
- loss of consciousness
- an acute confused state
- fits that aren't stopping
- chest pain
- breathing difficulties
- severe bleeding that can't be stopped
- severe allergic reactions
- severe burns or scalds
Also call 999 if you think someone has had a major trauma, such as after a serious road traffic accident, a stabbing, a shooting, a fall from height, or a serious head injury.
[Above is copy of first section of this NHS page - 10/Sept/2018]
NHS 111 is much more than a helpline – if you're worried about an urgent medical concern, you can call 111 to speak to a fully trained adviser.
Depending on the situation, the NHS 111 team can connect you to a nurse, emergency dentist or even a GP, and can arrange face-to-face appointments if they think you need one.
NHS 111 advisers can also assess if you need an ambulance and send one immediately if necessary.
When should I call NHS 111?
If you're worried about an urgent medical concern, call 111 and speak to a fully trained adviser.
For less urgent health needs, contact your GP or local pharmacist.
[above is copy of first two sections of this NHS page 10/Sept/2018]
Medical Practices / Pharmacies / Dentists
The following links (blue text) are to local Medical Services. This list may not cover all available services. For complete listings you should refer to the NHS website or others as appropriate.
- Medical Practice - Brackley Medical Centre 01280 702436 (incorporates Brackley Health Centre and Washington House Surgery)
- Medical Practice - Brook Health Centre (Towcester) 01327 323900
- Medical Practice - Silverstone Surgery (Silverstone) 01327 323900
- Medical Practice - Springfield Surgery (Brackley) 01280 704122
- Medical Practice - Towcester Medical Centre (Towcester) 01327 359953
- Boots Pharmacy (Brackley) 01280 702213
- Lark Rise Pharmacy (Brackley) 01280 700222
- Lloyds Pharmacy (Towcester) 01327 350433
- Bridge Dental (Towcester) 01327 358214
- Dentalcare (Brackley) 01280 730888
- Oasis (Bupa) Dental Care (Brackley) 01280 703453
- Oasis (Bupa) Dental Care (Towcester) 01327 358668
- Orchid Dental Centre (Brackley) 01280 703125
- Simply Smiles / Shire Court Dental (Towcester) 01327 352146
- Horton General Hospital (Banbury)
- John Radcliffe Hospital (Oxford)
- Churchill Hospital (Oxford)
- Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre (Oxford)
- Northampton General Hospital (Northampton)
Transport to Appointments
Information correct when posted - 17 July 2018.
The Brackley Area Volunteer Car Service is run by South Northants Volunteer Bureau (SNVB) and provides transport for those people, particularly the elderly and disadvantaged, who find it difficult to get to essential medical or social care appointments.
If your doctor's surgery is in Brackley then you can use this service so please call 01280 841099 for further information or visit www.snvb.org.uk.
Passengers must register with the service and pay an annual membership fee of £25.00. Journeys must be booked at least 3 days in advance and passengers pay the driver 45p per mile (the driver will calculate the cost for you).
The drivers are all volunteers and they will remain nearby for up to 2 hours to take you home again. This service is only available for people going to medical appointments such as doctors, dentist and physio.
Please click here for Citizens Advice, Samaritans & Wellbeing - lists of services with phone numbers.
For South Northants Volunteer Bureau (SNVB) & Good Neighbour Scheme (Northamptonshire ACRE) please click here.