Medical Emergencies, Medical Services & Support Services
Scroll down or use following links to sections on this page:
- Helmdon Facilities (Defibrillator) & First Aiders
- Medical Emergencies - When to Call 999
- When to Use NHS 111 online (or Call 111)
- Information about Coronavirus (COVID 19)
- Medical Practices / Pharmacies / Dentists
- Transport to Appointments
- Support Services - Voluntary, Citizens Advice, Wellbeing - includes contact phone numbers
Helmdon Facilities & First Aiders
Helmdon Primary School have installed a defibrillator on the front wall overlooking Station Road.
Please look for the bright yellow box on the front wall under the school sign. This equipment is for use by any member of the public at any time in an emergency and it can be accessed when the school is open or closed.
Instructions are clearly marked on the defibrillator case and it is designed to be used by individuals who have no prior knowledge or training.
[First Aider details to be added here]
[Following is copy of first section of the NHS page "When to call 999" - 01/May/2019]
At some point, most people will either witness or be involved in an accident or experience a medical emergency.
Knowing what to do next and who to call can potentially save lives.
Call 999 in a medical emergency. This is when someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.
Medical emergencies can include:
- loss of consciousness
- an acute confused state
- fits that aren't stopping
- chest pain
- breathing difficulties
- severe bleeding that can't be stopped
- severe allergic reactions
- severe burns or scalds
Also call 999 if you think someone has had a major trauma, such as after a serious road traffic accident, a stabbing, a shooting, a fall from height, or a serious head injury.
[Following is copy of first two sections of the NHS page "When to Call 111" 01/May/2019]
NHS 111 can help if you have an urgent medical problem and you're not sure what to do. Get help online or on the phone
To get help from NHS 111, you can:
- go to 111.nhs.uk (for people aged 5 and over only)
- call 111
NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you have difficulties communicating or hearing, you can:
- call 18001 111 on a textphone
- use the NHS 111 British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter service if you're deaf and want to use the phone service
How NHS 111 works:
You answer questions about your symptoms on the website, or by speaking to a fully trained adviser on the phone.
You can ask for a translator if you need one.
Depending on the situation you'll:
- find out what local service can help you
- be connected to a nurse, emergency dentist, pharmacist or GP
- get a face-to-face appointment if you need one
- be told how to get any medicine you need
- get self-care advice
Information about Coronavirus COVID-19
For NHS Coronavirus COVID-19 information - please click here. Alternatively, telephone 119 (includes Coronavirus vaccination booking).
For Coronavirus COVID-19 UK Government guidance - please click here
For guidance for British people travelling and living overseas - please click here
For information about help and services offered by Helmdon Parish Council - please click here
Medical Practices / Pharmacies / Dentists
The following links (blue text) are to local Medical Services. This list may not cover all available services. For complete listings you should refer to the NHS website or others as appropriate.
- Medical Practice - Brackley Medical Centre 01280 702436 (incorporating Brackley Health Centre and Washington House Surgery) Wellington Road, Brackley NN13 6QZ
- Medical Practice - Brook Health Centre (Towcester) 01327 323900
- Medical Practice - Silverstone Surgery (Silverstone) 01327 323900
- Medical Practice - Springfield Surgery (Brackley) 01280 704122
- Medical Practice - Towcester Medical Centre (Towcester) 01327 359953
- Boots Pharmacy (Brackley) 01280 702213
- Lark Rise Pharmacy (Brackley) 01280 700222
- Lloyds Pharmacy (Towcester) 01327 350433
- Lowick Pharmacy (Brackley) 01280 700935 on same site as Brackley Medical Centre.
- Bridge Dental (Towcester) 01327 358214
- Dentalcare (Brackley) 01280 730888
- Oasis (Bupa) Dental Care (Brackley) 01280 703453
- Oasis (Bupa) Dental Care (Towcester) 01327 358668
- Orchid Dental Centre (Brackley) 01280 703125
- Simply Smiles / Shire Court Dental (Towcester) 01327 352146
- Horton General Hospital (Banbury)
- John Radcliffe Hospital (Oxford)
- Churchill Hospital (Oxford)
- Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre (Oxford)
- Northampton General Hospital (Northampton)
- Brackley Community Hospital - See below
About Brackley Medical Centre / Brackley Community Hospital
The Brackley Medical Centre GP practice is now fully operational from the healthcare facility on Wellington Road, Brackley NN13 6QZ
The Northamptonshire Healthcare Foundation Trust's outpatient services, for example physiotherapy and podiatry, are also located within the building. It is anticipated that the intermediate care beds on the second floor will be populated gradually with effect from January 2021.
BMC patients have all been notified of the move, and BMC has created a video, a virtual tour, of the building because visits in person are not permitted at the moment. Although this video concentrates principally on the parts of the building which BMC patients will access and need, it does give a good overview of the entire building. Click here to view the video
An update from Brackley Community Hospital - April 2020
Please click above for information about Brackley Community Hospital, as presented by Caryl Billingham (Chairman of Brackley Community Hospital 2020 Trust) - April 2020.
Transport to Appointments
Information correct when posted - 17 July 2018.
The Brackley Area Volunteer Car Service is run by South Northants Volunteer Bureau (SNVB) and provides transport for those people, particularly the elderly and disadvantaged, who find it difficult to get to essential medical or social care appointments.
If your doctor's surgery is in Brackley then you can use this service so please call 01280 841099 for further information or visit www.snvb.org.uk.
Passengers must register with the service and pay an annual membership fee of £25.00. Journeys must be booked at least 3 days in advance and passengers pay the driver 45p per mile (the driver will calculate the cost for you).
The drivers are all volunteers and they will remain nearby for up to 2 hours to take you home again. This service is only available for people going to medical appointments such as doctors, dentist and physio.
Please click here for Citizens Advice, Samaritans & Wellbeing - lists of services with phone numbers.
Please note that Helmdon Parish Council cannot accept any responsibility for the information or web links provided by external websites.